– What you need to think about before making that forever purchase –
- Are you and/or your family ready for a pet?
- What age dog is best for you and/or the family
- Depending on the size of your apartment or house what size dog would be most appropriate?
- Is there a backyard or will the dog need to be walked?
- Is adoption, breeder or local pet store the way to go?
- What are the financial implications that are involved with pet ownership?
- What is involved in preparing for a new pet and taking care of a pet in the long term
- Who will be responsible for pet care/walks/feeding during the day?
- What are the pros and cons of purchasing a pet insurance plan?
- No one ever wants anything to go wrong with their new family member, but it happens – when to seek emergency veterinary care.
- Be aware of the signs of parvovirus, a serious disease that can affect puppies.
- Traveling with pets or boarding them – how to decide, prepare and prevent contagious diseases.
HEALS, a charitable 501c3 organization, was established in 2020 with the mission to end economic euthanasia and animal surrender due to an inability to pay. HEALS endeavors to keep pet owners who qualify for financial assistance and their pets together longer so they can enjoy a better quality of life. The non-profit was started because of a universal love of animals and an appreciation of the special sustaining bond that develops between pets and their owners. HEALS will be working with veterinary partners in New York – Bronx, Westchester, Putnam, Rockland, Orange and Dutchess Counties; Connecticut – Fairfield County and New Jersey – Bergen County. For more info. go to www.healspets.org.